Saturday, February 05, 2022

You'll Be Alright

 
—Poetry, Artwork and Photos by 
Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozabal, West Covina, CA



AUTUMN TAKES HOLD
After Will Carleton

These mellow days
leave me in a daze,
listless, wandering,
floating as a cloud.
Like burnt-out trees,
my somber face so
averse to smiling,
the best I could do
is wince and sigh, as
autumn takes hold.

Shivering like a child,
weeping because I
cannot speak; anxious,
autumn’s creeping in.
Withered like dead
flowers; sad and
drenched in rain. It
keeps falling. I am
sad to say I do not
love these autumn days.
 
 
 

 
 
WINTER IS COMING

I spent all night
trying to rearrange reality.
The truth would not budge.

I searched for
the vanquished hope of my life.

I wish she would come by.

My dreams only make sense to me.
She has her own dreams.
She is on a different path.
She is out of reach.

Why do I torture myself?
I follow her with my gaze.
I am running out of time.
I need to be kind to myself.
I need to face reality.

Winter is coming.
Winter is so cold.

The year is ending.
The stars are shimmering.

This heartache is permanent.
It is becoming futile.
I could not say I had my chance.
I have become the man facing the truth.
 
 
 



NIGHT LIGHT

Night, light up your stars and moon.
In my car, driving in twilight, I need
more light to get by. I fear the witches
flying on their brooms. I do not think

they ever die. Night, light up the stars
and moon. I need something to
follow. In my car, I struggle most at
twilight with these failing eyes.

_____________________

FIXING THE PAIN

I wear the same shoes for days
because these do not hurt my feet.
I am not looking to impress anyone
with shoes that look more stylish.

I will buy a similar pair when these
wear out. They are not inexpensive.
Still my feet are worth more than
fifteen bucks under two hundred.

Each day I thank the doctor who
recommended these shoes. If I was
a celebrity, I would make a few
commercials praising these puppies.

I would not charge any money as
long as I got shoes for life. I am not
going to live forever, which would be
a win-win for the shoe company.

Last year I could barely walk a block
without excruciating pain. I no longer
feel any pain in my feet. Now I must
focus on fixing the pain of heartbreak.
 
 
 

 
 
SIT IN THE DARK

Walk out. I will remain here.
I have nowhere else to go.
I can sit in the dark. No one
will see how sad my face looks.
The tears in my eyes will dry.
I will fill up my glass with wine.
I will hole up here and let this
crippled heart heal. There is
no tomorrow today. It will take
a while before I head outside.
 
 
 


 
FIND MY WAY

I try to find my way
before the window closes.
My youth is in the past.
The future is not promised.

Our paths are different.
I try to find mine as I
come upon reality;
there is not much time left.

Come to my side now.
Come and help me out of my
funk. Stay a while.
The birds on the wire sing for

us. In the garden
the beautiful flowers bloom.
Any day now the
huge sunflowers will show off.

Let’s have a tall drink.
Let’s take a long bus ride.
This old man needs time
to find his way home.
 
 
 

 

WISE CHOICES: 11/28/2021

Invisible deeds
are the things of life.
Don’t think only me,
myself, and I.

Awake this morning.
Thank the stars at night.
Life’s little miracles
won’t hang you dry.

There is water and
air, the sun up high,
get to work, feed your
soul, give it a try.

Head out the door. So
much awaits outside.
Make the wise choices.
You’ll be alright.

_______________________

Today’s LittleNip:

Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.

―Roy T. Bennett,
The Light in the Heart

_______________________

—Medusa, glad to see Luis in the Kitchen today, and thanking him for his poetry and artwork!
 
 
 
—Public Domain Photo Courtesy of
Joe Nolan, Stockton, CA
 








 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Photos in this column can be enlarged by
clicking on them once, then clicking on the x
in the top right corner to come back to Medusa.

Would you like to be a SnakePal?
All you have to do is send poetry and/or
photos and artwork to
kathykieth@hotmail.com. We post
work from all over the world, including
that which was previously published.
Just remember:
the snakes of Medusa are always hungry—
for poetry, of course!