Friday, February 03, 2017

Facing the Void

—Poems by Michael Marrotti, Pittsburgh, PA
—Anonymous Photos to Celebrate our 
Seed of the Week, Candlelight



BAPTIST CHURCH

Oppressive traditions
are meant to be broken
like the beaks
of nosey conservatives
taking in all the air
around them
sticking their noses
where they don't belong

Always the first
to prohibit the path
DO NOT ENTER
judged by appearance
unorthodox attire
only those
who are worthy
may enter
this sanctuary
of stubborn personality

The path
of the righteous man
is sexist and biased
the only option left
is to walk away
or face the charge
of trespass

Here I thought
we're all equal
in the name of the Lord
a feeling takes over me
I'm not the one
in need of repentance
I know when I'm not wanted






TRANSCENDENCE

There was a time
when the sun shined
the birds flew
amongst the bees

Stars were close
enough to reach
and the one
piece of ass
I had was good
enough

It was the day
before my
prescription
ceased to be
the day I was
high enough
to touch God

Prayers would
have never
ascended me
as high as this

The pious
are foolish
for believing
otherwise






PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN

These people
this place
my appearance
is the cause
of their actions

Jesus doesn't work
they pick and choose
what's best for them
going through life
in a righteous state
of contempt

God forbid
they turn the other cheek
when other people's
so-called shortcomings
help them forget
about their own
transgressions

Instead
of being grateful
for the daily bread
they focus
on how others
consume it

Guilty
by no affiliation
my heart
it beats like yours
no vacancy
for Jesus
doesn't mean
I'm not
for the cause
altruistic
I have
my own reasons

Blood will flow
like wine
from the mouth
of those
who contradict
the doctrine

Keep those eyes
on the pages
let Jesus
do all the thinking
only open
that big mouth
for the daily bread
Jesus saves
and this could save
us a headache






JESUS IS NOT NEEDED

Jesus isn't needed
in my heart
to become
a better person
opening that door
would only close
another
like the door
to my dealer

This wallet
is opened
blood is flowing
the heart
is beating
like a drum
no need
to pray
when those prayers
go unanswered
my dealer
never ignores me
always picks
up the phone

No delusions
only truth
my faith
in this feeling
though costly
is liberating
to have faith
in you
is to renounce
control

This
megalomaniac
is repulsed
by the thought
of ever walking
down that
straight and narrow
suppressive road






THE VOID

Living a life
void of belief
is like using
an anonymous
bar of soap
to scrub away
the unbeknownst
filth of the earth
in a lukewarm shower

Dirty towels
dry away
unguided souls

No transcendence
or declension
when the elevator
is out of service

Not knowing
is not caring
and living a life
free of indoctrination
is a life
of free thinking






ONE OF LIFE’S LESSONS

It's hard to forgive
when there are no
qualifications
church is out
I lack the
Christian value
system

It's hard to speak
with candor
In a world
of delusions
when my true
thoughts have been
denounced
popularity through
propaganda

It's hard to be free
in a paradoxical
greedy country
that condemns us
to the servitude
of the monetary
system

It's hard to walk
the streets
being myself
when it's
unorthodox and
conveys public
protest amongst
the biased
and faithless

It's hard to suppress
this enmity and rage
I contribute to the
persecution from
the opposition
when I know
what they deserve
is a full serving
of brutality

But I've come to
learn one of life's
most valuable
lessons

True power isn't a gun
a managerial decision
a suicidal bomber
or a judge and the jury

True power is self-control
to renounce that is to
capitulate your freedom






LIGHT OF LIFE RESCUE MISSION

I was
volunteering
each week
religiously
even though
I'm spiritually
bankrupt

It was a
phenomenal
feeling
living out
my ideology
we're all here
to help other
people

Then one day
I stopped
there was a glitch
I began to question
this benevolent
endeavor

Was it making
a difference
does any of it
even matter

One
pseudo-Christian
is all it takes
to ruin the philosophy
some contradictions
are easier to forgive
than others

A month later
I came to the
realization
that doing nothing
will only prolong
the suffering
and apathy

I didn't wanna be
another callous
human being
so I returned to
walk through
those doors

Actions speak
louder than words
empathy is
oftentimes
sacrificial
I'm back to
where I started
doing my best
to make a difference

_____________________

Today’s LittleNip:

Religion is like a pair of shoes… Find one that fits for you, but don’t make me wear your shoes.

—George Carlin

_____________________

—Medusa, with thanks to Michael Marrotti for today’s poems as, like the rest of us, he takes time to face the void now and then.



 Celebrate poetry by heading up to Placerville to hear 
Shawn Pittard read at the Good Earth Movement 
Cooperative, 250 Main St., 6:30pm. Scroll down to the 
blue column (under the green column at the right) 
for info about this and other upcoming poetry events 
in our area—and note that more may be added 
at the last minute.









Photos in this column can be enlarged by clicking on them once,
then click on the X in the top right corner to come back
to Medusa.