Friday, July 17, 2015

Song of the Spheres

—Poems by Scott Thomas Outlar, Atlanta, GA
—Photos by Keely S. Dorran, Sacramento, CA
 


A SONG UNTO THE AGES

The silence of white roses
with deaf petals
beneath a muted sun
holds the music’s place
in a steady embrace
while the implosive force of entropy
passes by in an instant’s blink,
and then rhythm is reborn
as melody blooms anew
toward a colorful fruition
of infinite solar expansion
that even the gods
dare not question,
lest the miracle’s magic
lose its elusive power
and get washed away
by a chorus of down-pouring rain
that flashes with a fluid voice
along to the beat of thunder’s drum
as splashes of electric ignition
light up the night sky
with tremors of a vibrating crescendo,
adding the tension of dramatic flare
to the opera of existence
that flutters with grace
between the dimensions of time and space.

The song of the spheres
rotates in tune with heaven’s frequency,
harmonizes with evolution’s wave,
and cascades with a celestial voice
across the infinite tide of the sea
where the sirens weep in waiting
over the tragedy and bliss
of this experience we call life
as it unfolds
one note at a time
until the cycle has completed its spin,
the wheels stop turning,
the gears grind to a halt,
and the symphony reaches a point of exhaustion.



 Rose Petal



COMES THE OMEGA WITH THE DAWN
 
With the dawn
arise

With the roses
bloom

With a fire
burn

Upon my lips
a kiss

Up my spine
shivers

Through my blood
ignite

With passion
love me

Until my heart
cannot take the fervor

With the truth
awaken

With the stars
illuminate

With a spark
shine

Enter my soul
from the source

From the first
to the last

From the beginning
to the end

With your words
love me

Until my heart
cannot take the pressure






BRING A BLOWTORCH
 
With one gentle whisper
into my weathered ears
you could calm the cravings
and loosen the weight
that hangs so heavy
around the neck of my desires

With just a simple smile
flashed from your ruby lips
you could light my mind on fire
and torch the past
that hangs so tightly
around the mistakes I’ve made

With a loving caress
upon my blistered flesh
you could open wide the pores
and send my heart soaring
toward the high spaces
that I haven’t seen in years

__________________

FLEETING
 
The closer a flying object
zips by in the sky
the quicker it’ll seem to travel

I saw a flaming comet
speed by from the outer reaches
right in front of my eyes

Imagine my surprise, nay, shock
at such a sight
as the stars fell






HARVEST THE SUMMER
 
You cannot change the world
with one apple seed
but you can damn well make sure
that at least one tree grows
to survive
in whatever the world may become

_____________________

Today's LittleNip:

THERE IS NOTHING MORE TO SAY
 
It always
comes back
to
simplicity

____________________

Our thanks to our fine contributors from two sides of the country today, and a note that this is a busy weekend in NorCal poetry; scroll down to the blue box (under the green box at the right of this column) for all the details.

Please note also that we have a new photo album on Medusa's Facebook page: Red Alice's Swan Song by Martha Ann Blackman, in which we mourn the end of Bill Gainer's reading series (Red Alice's Poetry Emporium) at the Shine Cafe.

—Medusa



 Rose Petal II